Last Updated on
Hemp Seed Health is proudly reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission but this does not affect the price you pay. Learn more here.
Hemp seed sales are booming, as these little hemp seeds are packed with nutrients and can be used in many ways.
In A Hurry? Here’s Our Top Pick:
If you don’t have time to read our full guide, below are our favourite 3 hemp seed products:
Hemp seeds contain protein and fiber, as well as Omega 3 and 6 and Vitamin E. These combine to lower the chances of heart attacks and strokes, reduce the effects of inflammatory autoimmune diseases, and have even been known to reduce symptoms of the menopause.
These wonder seeds are easily ingested by adding them to your everyday cooking. Check out our range of delicious hemp seed recipes for ideas, including a super easy hummus, a decadent cheesecake and a scrumptious pecan pie.
How to Choose the Right Hemp Seed
With so many hemp seed products on the market, it can be confusing to know which to buy. We’ve picked out the top 5 products to compare them over the course of this guide. But first, let’s learn some hemp seed basics.
Your first choice is to decide between hulled (sometimes called shelled) hemp seed or non-hulled. Eating hemp seeds hull on is perfectly safe, but most people prefer to eat the seeds hulled. Check out this guide if you want to hull hemp seeds yourself. Hulled hemp is often sold as hemp hearts.
The best hemp hearts are from Canada. They are known for their nutty taste and have a softer texture in comparison to seeds from other countries. All our top 5 products are from Canada and are hemp hearts.
You need to look out for the following things on hemp seed packaging to ensure you are buying the best product. Nutritional information is usually given per 30g serving. Check the following:
- That there is around 11g of protein per 30g serving.
- That there is at least 1g of fiber per 30g serving. Hemp hearts contain less fiber than hull-on, as fiber is stored in the hull.
- How much of Omega 3 and 6 there is.
The other checks concern organic and non-GMO certifications. Here’s a breakdown of what each certification means.
- Certified USDA Organic – means 95% or more of the product must be organic.
- Certified Canada Organic – essentially the same as above but only available for products produced in Canada.
- Non-GMO Verified – an extra quality standard that food producers can apply to. If a product is already USDA certified then it does not contain GMO ingredients.
- Certified B Corp – only available to private companies who meet strict social and ethical standards. Find out more on their site.
The final check is how much the hemp hearts cost per gram. Divide the dollar amount by grams and ignore the ‘cost per container size’ claims as sizes differ across brands.
Top 5 Hemp Seeds
- Kosher, non-GMO, Vegan, and gluten-free
- Eternae By Nature shelled hemp seeds contain an abundance of nutrients: 10g of protein, 2.4g of omega-3 ALA and 8.2 g of omega-6 ALA per serving.
- Our shelled hemp seeds have a good source of Vitamin B6 and iron and an excellent source of magnesium and copper.
- Eternae By Nature shelled hemp seeds have a nutty flavor and soft texture, making the perfect addition to use in your favorite recipes.
- Great tasting Hemp Hearts have a slightly nutty taste, similar to a sunflower seed or pine nut
- Simply sprinkle on salad, cereal, granola, oatmeal & yogurt, add to smoothies and recipes or eat straight from the package
- Contains more protein and omegas and less carbs than the same serving of Chia or Flax
- Cultivated for 12,000 years, hemp seeds are a powerhouse of nutrition! One serving provides 65% DRV of magnesium, 35% DRV of iron and 20% DRV of fiber.
- Contains the ideal ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids. We can only get omega-3s from the foods we eat.
- Great source of digestible plant protein, including all 9 of the essential amino acids. With a bright nutty flavor, easily add hemp to smoothies, salads, dressings, veggie burgers, energy bars, beverages, cereal and more.
- USDA Organic, Kosher, Non-GMO, vegan, gluten-free
- Contains 12 - 3oz. Pouches of Hemp Seeds
- 8 Ounces of Nutiva Hemp Seed Raw Shelled per bag.
- Organic Hempseeds are great for snacking.
- Hempseeds are certified USDA Organic, kosher and Non-GMO and Vegan.
- Use raw shelled hemp seeds to add a delicious nutty flavor to your baking.
- 10g Plant Protein & 12g Omegas 3&6 per serving
- Only 1g of Carbs per serving
- Non-GMO Project Verified, Gluten Free, Vegan, Kosher, Paleo, and Keto
- More protein and omegas with fewer carbs per serving than Chia or Flax seeds
- At Manitoba Harvest we believe in cultivating the world in which we want to live. As a Certified B-Corp with a net zero carbon footprint, sustainability is at the forefront of everything we do
You can find the main features of each hemp heart brand in this comparison table. For a closer look at each brand, check out the mini-reviews later on in this guide.
|Features||Eternae By Nature||Just Hemp Foods||Navitas||Nutiva||Manitoba Harvest|
|Grams of protein per 30g serving||10g||10g||8g||10g||10g|
|Grams of fiber per 30g serving||1g||1g||2g||1g||1.5g|
|Omegas 3 and 6 per 30g serving||10.6g||12g||Unknown||Unknown||12g|
|Certified USDA/ Canada Organic||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||No|
|Certified B Corp||No||No||Yes||No||Yes|
By reading this review of the top 5 Hemp Seed products, you should now have a better understanding of what to look for when shopping. Go for hemp hearts which have been hulled and are easy to add to meals for a nutty flavor and a big hit of nutrients.
If you have enjoyed this guide, please share with your friends and family on social media, or leave us a comment below.