Last Updated on
Hemp Seed Health is proudly reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission but this does not affect the price you pay. Learn more here.
Hemp seeds are a great health food with a ton of benefits. Hemp is high in phosphorous which helps form healthy teeth and bones. It also naturally has a high fiber content, which is great for regulating bowel movements. Check out this guide for more on the benefits of hemp seeds.
In A Hurry? Here’s Our Top Pick:
If you don’t have time to read our full guide, below are our favourite hemp protein products:
Hemp protein powder ramps up the protein content of hemp, and its powder form makes it easy to add to food.
Check out this post for ideas on how to use hemp protein powder, including adding hemp to milkshakes and smoothies, stirring into your morning porridge or mixing into brownies. Hemp protein powder comes in many different flavors, which makes adding to food even easier.
How to Choose the Right Hemp Protein Powder
You need to look out for the following things on hemp protein powder packaging to ensure you are buying the best product. Nutritional information is usually given per 30g serving. Check the following:
- That there is at least 11g of protein per 30g serving.
- That there is at least 1g of fiber per 30g serving.
- How much of Omega 3 and 6 there is.
Hemp protein powders come in a variety of flavors. You can usually get a choice from chocolate, vanilla and plain.
Good quality hemp protein powders will be cold-pressed. This means that neither heat nor bleaching was used to make the powder, meaning it is purer.
The other checks concern organic and non-GMO certifications. Here’s a breakdown of what each certification means.
- Certified USDA Organic – means 95% or more of the product must be organic.
- Certified Canada Organic – essentially the same as above but only available for products produced in Canada.
- Non-GMO Verified – an extra quality standard that food producers can apply to. If a product is already USDA certified then it does not contain GMO ingredients.
- Certified B Corp – only available to private companies who meet strict social and ethical standards. Find out more on their site. The final check is how much the hemp protein powder cost per gram. Divide the dollar amount by grams and ignore the ‘cost per container size’ claims as sizes differ across brands.
Top 3 Hemp Protein Powders
- Cultivated for 12,000 years, hemp is a powerhouse of nutrition. One serving of Navitas Organics Hemp Powder provides 13g protein, 60% DV magnesium, 40% DV iron and 25% DV fiber!
- Milled from cold-pressed hemp seeds, Navitas Organics Hemp Powder is naturally 50% complete protein by weight.
- Great source of essential fatty acids, which are necessary for optimal functioning. Hemp contains the ideal ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids for our bodies!
- Blend easily into smoothies, shakes, dips and baked goods.
- USDA Organic, Kosher, Non-GMO, vegan, gluten-free.
- 13g of Fiber, 13g of Organic Plant-Based Protein, 2.5g Omegas 3&6
- Only 1 ingredient - Organic Hemp Protein Powder
- Certified USDA Organic, Certified Non-GMO, Vegan, Dairy free
- B Corp Certified, Made with renewable energy
- MIx with your favorite fruit, greens and avocado to create your own super treat!
- NUTRIENT DENSE: Nutiva Organic, Cold-Processed Hemp Protein is a sustainable source of amino acids, fatty acids, protein, and edestin. One serving provides 15 grams of raw organic protein and 8 grams of fiber (32% DV).
- NATURALLY EXTRACTED: Nutiva’s all-natural cold press extraction process yields a clean, plant-based protein that's high in Omega 3 fats and antioxidants without the use of dangerous and harmful chemicals, hexane, or heat.
- PREMIUM DIET COMPATIBILITY: Nutiva Organic, Cold-Processed Hemp Protein is an ideal source of Omega 3 fats and antioxidants, just right for vegetarian, vegan, raw, whole food, paleo, ketogenic, and gluten-free diets.
- COMMITMENT TO QUALITY: Nutiva partners with Canadian farmers to source the world’s finest organic, non-GMO, sustainably grown hemp seeds and stringently adheres to USDA certified organic and non-GMO guidelines to deliver superfood that is good for you and good for the planet.
- EASY TO USE PACKAGING: Nutiva Organic, Cold-Processed Hemp Protein is packaged in safe, convenient, BPA-free packaging.
Hemp Protein Powder Comparison Table
|Grams of protein per 30g serving||13g||13g||15g|
|Grams of fiber per 30g serving||7g||11g||8g|
|Omegas 3 and 6 per 30g serving||Unknown||2.7g||Unknown|
|Flavors||Plain||Unsweetened, Chocolate, Vanilla||Chocolate, Vanilla|
|Certified USDA/Canada Organic||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Certified B Corp||Yes||Yes||No|